So I thought I’d put up a blog on the subject. Cholesterol is used extensively in the body to make vitamin D and other chemicals in the body. The body manufactures some cholesterol, and the diet provides the rest. Good cholesterol (HDL) is important for the production of all steroid hormones including cortisol, testosterone, progesterone and estrogen. Each of these hormones, you will know are important in their own right for the efficient running of the human body. Each of these also affect the amount of circulating cholesterol in the blood stream.
Where It’s Produced
The liver produces about 75% of the body’s cholesterol. The other 25% typically comes from diet. You should know however that this production of “good cholesterol” is greatly enhanced if the diet has a greater percentage of raw plant/vegetable foods. The body draws upon the phyto-sterols present in plant foods to use as a basis for that which is produced in the liver.
Your cell membranes require cholesterol for efficient functioning. These membranes are semi-permeable, eliminating waste from the cell and allowing essential nutrients into the cell. Without cholesterol, this exchange does not take place adequately.
Vitamin D Synthesis
There must be a sufficient amount of cholesterol in the body to allow the synthesis of vitamin D to occur. Vitamin D is created when sunlight hits the skin and converts cholesterol into this much needed vitamin.
Production of Hormones
Steroid hormones are created by using cholesterol. Sex hormones such as estrogen, progesterone and testosterone are produced this way, as well as mineralcorticoids, which help with mineral balance and blood pressure regulation. Glucocorticoids, which assist with blood sugar regulation, are also a hormone created with cholesterol.
The digestive tract needs digestive acids, or bile salts, to assist with fat absorption. These salts are created from the cholesterol that is synthesized in the liver. And of course this is not the entire story but it’s a very good start. So you see, cholesterol is not the dirty word it has been made out to be. If you have been told you have cholesterol problems and/or told you need medication for this situation natural therapies can be incredibly helpful to assist you with that problem. Our bodies have a wisdom of their own and when given adequate diet, rest, peaceful time for reflection, love and fresh air (not necessarily in that order) they will do the right thing and reward us with good health. So don’t just accept the news that you will have to be medicated forever in regard to cholesterol issues. Be proactive, add more raw fruits and vegetables to your diet, change your lifestyle to a healthier one. And by all means if you need help with this contact the Well Body Natural Therapies Clinic for support.